24 August 2008

A Special Night

Tonight was a landmark night, one that I remember clearly having with my father when I was seven. Tonight I gave Ian his very own Bible. He was very happy about it and immediately dove in, declaring "Dad, I'm going to read the entire book of Genesis by the end of September!" He promptly snuggled into his bean bag chair and started reading, with periodic quizzes about what chapter I thought he was on already. Inevitably, he was farther ahead than I thought. I left him reading chapter 10 about the tower of Babel.
First, though, was the question that I knew had to be coming at some point, but I was so completely not expecting it tonight.
Ian - "Dad, what's 'sexual relations?'"
Me - "Uh, where did you read it?"
Ian - "Cain had sexual relations with his wife." (Gen 4:17) "
Me - "Well there's more to come on this later, but for now let's just say that's how a husband and wife relate to each other, like hugging and kissing, and eventually it's how they have a baby together."
Long pregnant pause...
Me - "Does that make sense to you?"
Ian - "What?"
Me - "What I just explained."
Ian - "Oh. Yeah, that's fine."
No big deal. That was that. Nothing to be scared of...
Anyway, I've just gone to check in on him and tell him to turn out the lights and go to sleep. He's read through chapter 12, and wants to try to finish Genesis tonight (50 chapters in all, folks). How can I forbid that? May he continue to have this enthusiasm all of his days!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Long PREGNANT pause. Haw haw. Very nice, my dear.

Anonymous said...

we are staying tuned, o forerunner!